Sender:
From:
"Mastantuoni, Anthony" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 09:19:23 -0400
   I want to wiegh in with my 25 cents on the discussion that
Info Only <[log in to unmask]> and Jeffrey T. Anbinder have been having.
   It is a fact that Iona's coverage in the local newspaper ("Journal News")
has been pathetic at best.  Like most small rinky-dink newspapers (my
opinion for a variety of reasons), they concentrate their sports efforts on
High School sports.  The
lone exception being the Iona Basketball team.  That is why I was stunned
when their reporter was sent to the MAAC Semifinals at Storrs, Connecticut.
It is also why I got press credentials to cover the MAAC for the Internet
site that hosts my New York Ranger columns.  I figured I might be the only
link the Westchester area might have to the
MAAC Playoffs.
   The surprising thing is that Iona's attendance is made up mostly of the
local community.  Like all of Iona's sports (hoops included), the Iona
student body is generally apathetic when it comes to supporting its
athletes.  It seems like the only time sports gets a major push is if and
when we make the NCAA Basketball Tournament -- and in that case it is one
and out.
   We have had a few games where New Roc was packed.  We have had 1200-1300
people a few times.  That is not too bad for a rink that seats anywhere from
750-1200.  In addition, there are a lot of people who don't get counted
because they walk in after the first period or stand around and watch the
action from outside via the windows that overlook the rink.
   I urge both of you to stop by New Roc for a game next year.  Granted the
rink can't compare to arenas in other conferences (or even like Army and
UConn), but it is a vast improvement over the old plastic bubble at the Ice
Hutch.
   Info Only asked about Iona's schedule and I can say that nothing has been
finalized as of yet.  I am pretty sure that Iona is heading out to Findlay
for a pair of games, which should answer the questions over whether or not
the MAAC would screw that situation up again.  If I remember correctly, Iona
will be heading north to play Colgate and RPI (I am not 100% certain those
were the exact schools).  In addition, there was some talk that the
University of Alabama-Huntsville was considering visiting the Golden Apple.
   I have to admit that I feel a bit embarrassed to be talking Iona hockey
on Hockey-L.  I know that were are mere minnows in the world of college
hockey and that the MAAC's reputation is being tarnished by some highly
questionable decisions by the
powers-that-be.  If anyone would like to talk MAAC or Iona hockey, please
feel free to respond to me off the List.  I would be more than happy to talk
one-on-one.

Anthony R. Mastantuoni
Iona College/Ryan Library