Sender:
From:
"Garrett R. Lanzy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1992 23:24:53 EST
From the January, 1992 issue of _Tech Outlook_, a publication of the
Michigan Tech Alumni Association [bracketed comments added by me]:

     ABOUT THAT OTHER WINTER SPORT

     From Marquette comes some interesting hockey news, with NMU coach
     Rick Comley talking about a combined Western Collegiate Hockey
     Association (WCHA) and Central Collegiate Hockey Associate (CCHA).
     An 18-team league ([MTU] sports information director [and HOCKEY-L
     participant] Dave Fischer proposes calling it the Great Big Hockey
     League), with perhaps four divisions, could mean renewed rivalries
     with teams like Michigan State, more visibility for MTU's program
     in lower Michigan, and the ability to schedule a wider variety of
     teams.  Talks are v-e-r-y preliminary.

Very interesting...  and personally, I think I'd like it.  Since Comley
seems to have quite a bit of "clout", it will be interesting to see where
this proposal goes.

Also, from the same publication (for any former Huskie Pep Band members):

     PLAY IT AGAIN, BAND

     Of course, no talk of hockey would be complete without mentioning
     the MTU Pep Band.  That group, in conjuntion with the Alumni
     Association, will sponsor its first-ever all-band reunion during
     the fall of 1992.  Director Jeff Bell-Hanson hopes for a combined
     football-hockey weekend.  Sorry, bring your own bib overalls.

Anyone interested can probably get more info from the MTU Alumni
Association.

 - Garrett Lanzy, MTU '84