Sender:
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 16:03:23 -0500
7bit
From:
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
To: Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
On Fri, 20 Nov 1998 23:51:30 -0500 Mark Lewin wrote:

> A question arose during the 3rd period that no-one around us could answer.
>
> Mid-way through the 3rd period, an RPI player broke in on Shtrom. Shtrom
> flopped down and, although he never touched the puck, forced the shot wide
> missing the post by inches. The puck rolled slowly to the corner and
> Shtrom was flat on the ice with the RPI skater quickly chasing down
> the rolling puck. Just then, a retreating Union defenseman fell
> to the ice in the slot, slid past Shtrom and into the net, dislodging it
> causing a stoppage in play. There were no other RPI players around so he
> couldn't have been taken down nor could he have been checked into the net.
> But, from where I sit, (and I had a very clear view), it seemed as if the
> Union skater just lost an edge and went down. Either that or he was a REAL
> good actor. The fans started yelling for a delay of game call. They didn't
> get one. What's the rule on that? Did that constitute delay of game or does
> delay of game require the referee to conclude that delay was the intent of
> the player causing the delay? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

A week ago Friday at the Whittemore Center, BU's Michel Larocque dislodged the
net while his team was shorthanded in clear view of referee Jim Fitzgerald.
Fitzgerald ruled it was not worthy of a penalty, making himself unique among
the 6,000 plus in attendance.  The UNH fans felt justifiably robbed while the
BU fans were squeamish.  Larocque has developed a knack for this sort of thing,
and at times in the past (I believe during the NCAA playoff versus UNH last
spring) he has been penalized for his actions.  This was during a critical
point of the game, and with the Wildcat powerplay looking at a 5x3 against a
truly inept Terrier penalty killing unit, BU fans would not have been amused
with Larocque if he had been called.  He deserved it though, and everyone could
tell that Fitzgerald would not let him get away with it again during the game.

--
Edward N. Moller
Controller