Sender:
From:
Craig Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 07:24:12 -0500
Responding to the message of  <[log in to unmask]>
from "Cutler, Ken" <[log in to unmask]>:

> Mr. Downing is wildly incorrect.  I suspect he may be thinking of Junior
> A not major juniors.  Playing major juniors causes a player to lose his
> ability to play NCAA hockey.  There are some rules (I don't know the
> details) where a player who plays a limited number of games forfeits some
> eligibility but is not completely ineligible.  The vast majority,
> however, of such players can never play college hockey in the US.

This is correct!  Major junior and Junior A are very different.  Des
Christopher, the Mankato State goalie, played 10 minutes in a Major Junior
exhibition game as a 16-year-old.  The penalty for that is one year plus one
game with the loss of a year of eligibility.

The NCAA's rule pertaining to Major Junior players is that they must not have
received any remuneration except for room and board.  If they have done so, they
are not eligible.  However, if they did not receive money, the penalty for
having played is that the player must sit out the same number of years and games
as the number of games he played in Major Junior.

Christopher played one game and hence had to sit out one year and one game.  A
player playing two games would have to sit out two years and two games.
Eligibility is lost for players who fall under this rule (Christopher had just
three years of eligibility at Mankato State).

Craig Roberts, University of Minnesota
Women's Sports Information Assistant
Check out the Gophers on the Web at http://www.gophersports.com
Or call the Diet Coke Gopher Sports Hotline at (612) 626-STAT
GO GOPHERS!

Women's National Collegiate Ice Hockey Stats are at:
 www.gophersports.com/sportsNews/press_release.asp?news_id=273