Sender:
From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 22:11:10 -0500
On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Brian D Helland wrote:

> WCHA (8 teams)         CCHA (10 teams)        New Western Conference (NWC)
>
> North Dakota           Michigan               Neb-Omaha
> Minnesota              Michigan State         Mankato State
> Wisconsin              Ferris State           Bemidji State
> St. Cloud              Western Michigan       Alaska-Anchorage
> Michigan Tech          Northern Michigan      Alaska-Fairbanks
> Denver                 Ohio State             Air Force (?)
> Colorado College       Lake Superior State    Other Emerging Programs (?)
> Minn-Duluth            Bowling Green
>                        Notre Dame
>                        Miami (OH)

> * Moving UAF from the CCHA makes sense from a geographical standpoint.
> UAA moving from the WCHA would give them a fresh start in a new conference
> (they haven't had much success in the WCHA).

Are either Fairbanks or Anchorage going to want to leave their
conference? I doubt UAA is going to want to give up home games against
Minnesota and Wisconsin for games against Bemidji State and Nebraska-
Omaha. I doubt UAF is going to want to give up home games against
Michigan and Michigan State for games against Air Force and Mankato State.

Does either conference want to lose their Alaska school? Games in Alaska
still count as an exemption, don't they?

I would be surprised if any current non-Big-Te(leve)n member of the CCHA or
WCHA leaves voluntarily. If the Big Te(leve)n schools form their own
league, that will open the door to other realignment.

> * Having UAF and UAA in the same conference would help maintain their
> rivalry.  Also, I believe that the Alaska schools should be as far west as
> possible.

Geography has taken care of that, already. ;-) (And yes, I know what you
meant. :-) )

See you later,
John

--
John Edwards - Carleton (Ont) '96, Manitoba '00 - [log in to unmask]
          Let me get right on that, with thinking. - Officer Barbrady