Sender:
From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 00:29:50 -0400
First, let me thank the Ambroses for their hard work in organizing dinner
at the Harp.  They did such a good job, that I have promised not to be mean
to them in any posts next year.  Many non HOCKEY-L fans were jealous that
we had such good arrangements, while they were left out in line in the
drizzle and cold between games outside the Harp and other establishments
near Causeway St.

It seems to me that there will be much fewer choices for between game
dining as near to the Pond in Anaheim as there was in the area near the
Fleet Center.  Isn't the Pond just surrounded by a big parking lot ?

What can we HOCKEY-L'ers look forward to between games next year ?  What is
in the area near that stadium ?

Never too early to plan, so here's a question to anyone in the LA area --
do they allow tailgating in the parking lot of the Pond ?

For those of you who were at the Fleet:
I sent the following note to Philp A. Buttafuoco of the NC$$, Div. 1 Ice
Hockey Championships (too bad the announcer butchered his name).  I hope
his  retirement annoucement is effective in a few weeks, so he can reply.
Any reply will be posted:

>As a 10-year Bruins season ticket holder, I was also happy to attend the
>Hockey Championships in my own "back yard".  The games were a gem to all
>in attendance, and it was a credit overall to those participating and who
>watched at home. We hope you come back to Boston again.
>
>However, to the many visitors to Boston that I met, I had no explanation
>why the "banners" were taken down from the rafters of the Fleet Center.
>No Bruins banners for their retired numbers, not even for the retired
>Celtics, many of whom were great players in your own NCAA.  What a shame
>for visitors not to see one historic item that carried over from the old
>Boston Garden.
>
>I suspect it was not the Fleet Center management that initiated this
>decision.  May I assume, then, it was your organization that required this
>? We all understand your policies during championships not to allow
>advertising in the arena, on the boards, or on ice, and not selling
>alcohol, but to remove the "Banners" ?
>
>It would be most appreciated if you could please explain who made the
>decision to remove the banners, and why.

Needless to say, such will NOT be an issue at the Pond in Anaheim, unless
the worst happens and Paul Kariya has to retire from hockey due to the
concussions.

If, as Mike Machnik commented, the pre-game video highlights and the light
show at the Fleet was impressive this year, I think we all have only seen
the previews of what will go on next year.  Imagine what the Mouse can do
with entertainment !

On the subject of video, the issue of replays on the Jumbotron came up in
some of my conversations during the games.  Again, it seems like another
one of those NC$$ rules, so instead of me posting another e-mail to the
NC$$, I'll ask on this list:

Is there an NCAA rule against showing immediate replays of
(non-controversial) goals in an arena equipped with video screens ?  Did
they show replays during the hoops Final Four (to anyone so lucky to have
been there or know about it ?)  This answer may be something the SID's or
other media types on the list might know and can tell us all.

Finally, would those who joined me for the Friday brewpub tour please
e-mail me privately, about a similar tour in LA next year.

Dan Doucette
UMaine 78 MPA 80

*** Beers may now be in the booth, but Jean-Yves Roy ***
***    should be kept with the big club in Boston     ***
***   Is there anyone better now with Providence ??  ***

 And when will Rutgers become a "real" school and start
            a Div. 1 college hockey program ?