Sender:
From:
Rebecca Moss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 00:59:53 -0500
>>On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Larry0405 wrote:
>>> Can anyone explain why the crowds at Brown Arena were so small?

Several reasons:

1) BU was on break, and due to the (very, very strange and restrictive)
security rules at BU, students couldn't even get into their dorms until
Sunday.  Because of this, most students scheduled their vacations so they
got back Sunday afternoon or evening...

2) Tickets for the series weren't made available until after break started,
so those of us (I use the term loosely, since as a band member I never have
to bother with tickets anyway) who went away for break weren't able to get
tickets ahead of time for those games we were in town for...

3) Quite a few people assumed that the tickets would be scarce if not
impossible to get "the day of," the way they usually are...

4) Denielsen and Loretto are the only dorms wired for cable, so most
students couldn't turn the (Sunday) game on, say "Hey, there's lots of
seats, I bet we could get in" and run down to WBA (I know people dislike
the channel 68 announcers but that's the only station that *everyone* on
campus can get clearly)...

5) After the blowout the weekend before, everyone assumed it would be a
2-game BU sweep (hey, I know I did... oops), so many of the more "casual"
fans (ie, "I'll go if I can get tickets without too much hassle") weren't
even aware there was a game they could go to (if they went away for break
and came back Sunday.)

Most of the non-student regulars-- the recognizable ones at least, like
Cookie-Puss (he wears jersey #13) and Sasquatch-- were actually there
Sunday night, so don't blame them... at least not totally. Blame the BU
administration!  Yeah, that's it!  It's their fault for scheduling break
right then and having excessive dorm security rules! :)

--rebecca

        I bleed Terrier scarlet.  But hey, doesn't everybody?