Sender:
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 21:55:09 -0700
To: Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Since this thread began, I've heard four things:

1. The committee uses the PWR to seed the tournament. "Case closed."
2. Of course, regardless of a team's PWR, a regular-season win combined
with a tournament win gives them an automatic bye.
2. Now when there's a tie, the committee looks to the RPI.
3. AND, the committee also uses individual comparisons to determine seeds.

This is what I've heard year after year, and this is why I ask the
questions that I do. To this ol' dumb yokel, it's not a cut-and-dry situation.

A Big Thank You goes to John Whelan, who rather than attack my ignorance
actually answered my question about Yale, Cornell, and UNH -- and in the
process also showed that it's NOT purely based on the PWR.

I questioned what would happen if UNH beat BU for the HEA tourney, and Yale
beat Clarkson for the ECAC tourney. This is a purely speculative question,
and since I'm not one of those who crunch the numbers (kudos to Charlie
Shub and again to John Whelan) I was curious. Shoot me.

And furthermore...

At 05:05 PM 3/9/98 -0600, Adam Wodon wrote:

>Yes - I agree it should be re-explained --- in fact, it's permanantly on
>USCHO ---- if someone wants to re-post it to Hockey-L -- go ahead ...
>but the info is there for the world to see ...  And Greenie is
>definitely not new to the list, with all due respect.

Does this mean I shouldn't ask questions?

God forbid I asked a simple question and started a discussion on this list.
Should I instead spend time insulting other schools, coaches, mascots, and
zamboni drivers?

Adam, with the exception of yourself and a few others on the list, the
majority of the readers of Hockey-L -- myself included -- are not involved
in careers which include the sport of hockey, whether those careers be
large or small.

As such, I enjoy being a fan of the sport, and reading most of the posts on
the list. I also do enjoy writing to the list, and as a result have made
many friends and have had great conversations (and arguments).

Adam, if it bothers you so much that idiots like me perpetually ask
questions about the seeding process, why bother explaining yourself over
and over again? You've said yourself that it's been said enough times; why
say it again?

greenie
S P O O N  ! !
(go BU)

Since BU dropped football, does that mean Silber fumbled?
Real grass at Nickerson for the *real* football! Yippee!