Sender:
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 12:12:53 -0700
From:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Cutler, Ken" <[log in to unmask]>
Amen, Ken!

===============
 I love D-3 hockey and think that D-3 sports are the epitome of what college
sports should be--
===============

As most of you know, RPI is D-3 in all but hockey.  Don't get me wrong, I
love the small school (mainly D-1) vs. D-1 big school stuff, but ....
D-3 is where
all college sports should be, IMHO. Never will happen of course, mostly
Ithink due to alumni pressure. I can recall distinctly my friends on the
RPI football team back in the early 60s (yes, they lost 43 in a row)
getting told to go back to their physics labs and not come to practice
because they had conflicting labs....I'll take that to my next experience
at the Big U, U of Illinois, in the late 60s, check it out. Slush fund,
first of many NCAA penalties, thousands of under the table dollars, alums
buying cars and plane tickets for athletes .... left a very bad D-1 taste
in my mouth. Yes, I will admit it, whenit comes to hockey, I am
hypocritical... :-)  However, I think most of of will also admit that,
relatively speaking, coll hockey at the D-1 level is "clean" and a fairly
level playing ground.

My 1/6 peso from the ivory tower only 300 miles N of the Mexican border :-)

El Nino lives!  Ask my drowning bouganvilla!

Tony Buffa
RPI '64

Go Engineers!  Two points at Dartmouth!!!  :-)