Sender:
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 1992 14:32:16 EST
> Another question, is it now taboo to give 5 minute major penalties for either
> fighting or roughing?  IMO there was at least one occasion where both players
> threw multiple punches and should have gotten at LEAST 5 minutes for roughing
> if not fighting/Game Misconducts.  I believe, that in NCAA rules, the reffere
> may give 5 minute roughing penalties without Game penalties attached.

Ryan, I completely agree with you.  In at least one of the fights which
occurred, either major penalities or game disqualifications were in order.
I believe that Noeth only assessed minors and double minors due to the fact
that the game was pathetic anyway, it was a non-conference game, and RPI
had so much of an advantage already.

One thing to note, though, was the rough play of RIT, compared with the quicker
and more fluent play of RPI.  I think RIT was using rough play to try and
intimidate RPI, since that could be their only way of staying in the game.
On almost every RPI breakaway, a slashing penalty could have been called on
RIT.  Still, I don't think a Div III team should be pitted against a Div I
team.  It's just a false "booster" for RPI, and a frustrating loss for RIT.

> This, IMO, was a big waste of a game for RPI, they could have at least played
> a bad Div I Independent Team.

Agreed.        -- kennyz

---
Kenny Zalewski -- Information Technology Services at Rensselaer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 83 Albright Court, Troy, NY, 12180
[log in to unmask] | [log in to unmask] | [log in to unmask]