Sender:
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 05:33:38 -0700
It seems that nobody on this list can be happy in any given year, no matter
what the pairings turn out to be.

The only time I can see a rational reason to complain about the brackets is
when a team who should deservedly have a presence in the national
championship tournament is left out. This has happened in the past, but
this year I hear very few complaints about who's in and who's out.

So what do the complaints turn to? The pairings. Listies are whining that
their [insert team nickname here], have a better PWR rating, a better RPI,
a tougher schedule, etc., than teams "seeded above them."

As Mike clearly pointed out, the thing we all need to focus on is that
after the first four byes are decided, it's not a matter of seedings
anymore, but merely a matter of attempting to create the best tournament
for everyone -- both the teams and the fans.

Also remember folks, this is a tournament with only 12 teams -- more than
one-quarter of the teams that play D1 hockey. As such, it seems virtually
impossible to schedule a tournament that would make *everybody* happy. It
would be very easy for the NCAA selection committee to narrow the
tournament down to 8 teams -- much closer to the "one-fifth" fraction that
is used for men's and women's basketball, volleyball, baseball, tennis, and
other NCAA sports.

Hey, if your team's in, great. Who cares who they play? If they're gonna
win the whole potato, does it really matter who they face to do it?
Besides, if they're a "top seed" who got the shaft, then there really
shouldn't be any problem playing another "top seed" before the Frozen Four.

So quit whining, and enjoy the tournament! 8 days 'til Milwaukee!

Waaaahoooooooooooooooooo!

greenie

S P O O N ! !

GO BU!    (hockey)
GO BU!    (basketball)
GO 'BOWS! (20-6 and no tourney bid? Bull!)
GO BU!    (did I mention hockey?)