Sender:
From:
"Charles J. Masenas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 14:21:58 -0500
J. Michael Neal wrote:
>> Ed Ridolfi wrote:
>> > Adam Woodon mentioned, on the air, that Princeton seems to have the
ability
>> > to agitate the French Connection line.  Tony Ranaldi & JP O'Connor love to
>> > play that "hit you hard and stare you in the face" game.
>>
>> Boy, if this is the case, a Minnesota-Vermont match-up would be
>> interesting.  With the resurgent play of Erik Rasmussen, he and, say,
>> Wyatt Smith, might give the French Connection fits.

The Vermont press has had loads to say about the disappointing numbers of the
French Connection this year.  The week following the last regular season game
with Princeton, Ted Ryan of the "Burlington Free Press" wrote on three
different
days about how opponents were using clutch and grab tactics to contain the two.
In one story he implied that referees were unfairly targeting the little guys
in calling retaliatory penalties while letting opponents get away with murder.

Nobody can accuse the Vermont press of objectivity.  I don't know how any local
press can imply unfairness when every first line in the country is subject to
the same treatment in every game.  All local press tends to be homers but these
isolated Vermonters are downright paranoid.

-------
Regards,
Charles J. Masenas