Sender:
From:
"Andrew J. Weise" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 1997 17:07:15 -0500
>Union thus gains as good a match-up as it could ask for: RPI, a team they
>have battled thru three games to a virtual standstill (1-1-1) at an arena
>that has become as friendly to the visitors as the home team, only ten
>miles from their own campus.  The same thing happened in 1994 of course,
>but that was a green team that was experiencing post-season play really
>for the first time.  This year's edition features a goalie who is arguably
>the best in the nation, playing behind a team that has one of the best
>records in hockey over the last ten games.  So who is the underdog in this
>series?

Well, it's clear that neither team expected to be in this position
at the beginning of the year. RPI's "slump" of recent weeks is probably
due to their age. I don't know how many juniors are on the team, but they
have to pick up the pace and show leadership and <insert your own cliche
here>. The juniors on this team were the freshmen on the ECAC tourney champs
of 1995. This is a YOUNG team.

On the other hand, Union's 13 seniors were freshmen on the 93-94 team
that made their run at the end of the year and surprised the world
when they took nationally-ranked RPI to 3 games in the ECAC quarterfinals.
They all know what it takes. They've been through the ups & downs since
then.

The experience in the playoffs is what is the key here. In addition,
Stan Moore has brought a better attitude to Union. I've seen that
they've been more ready and excited about playing. I don't know what
Moore has done, but it's working. This is not to slight Fridgen, who
has seemed to push the right buttons all year.

>Oh, and one other thing, their coach should receive Coach of the Year.
>His main competition, RPI's Dan Fridgen, faltered a bit down the stretch.
>Stan Moore, in contrast, put his team on a tear following the RPI series,
>that propelled them to a lofty fifth place finish in the ECAC.  Granted
>Mike Shafer is also deserving, but I cannot imagine how anyone could vote
>for anyone other than Moore after the job he has done this year.

Regardless, both teams weren't supposed to do this well. RPI still
managed a home ice playoff series and Union almost got there themselves.
However, after the first period against Yale last night, Moore must have
said something to chnage things around. Without Ryan Donovan & Jay Prentice
(two grizzled veterans), they came back from 4-1 to win a huge late-season
game. That alone is starting to sway me towards Moore as COTY (with apologies
to Schafer, Fridgen, & even Cahoon). It's a toss-up for me, though.

>It should be a great series regardless, especially for the Dutchman fans.
>And if this doesn't fill up the Houston Fieldhouse , nothing will.

The only prediction that I'll make is that it'll probably go three
games. ;-)

Andy Weise
SUNY Potsdam '93
Union COllege '95