Sender:
From:
"Anthony J. Frolik" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 13:47:54 -0600
On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, matthew sullivan wrote:

> >Apparently, when the clock expired, Sertich looked over to the Minnesota
> >bench and asked what had happened to the 75 years of pride and
> >tradition.  This is the point where, as I Gopher fan, I'm supposed to
> >get all huffy and complain about his poor sportsmanship.  The porblem
> >with this is that Coach Sertich was absolutely correct.  I've been
> >saying the same thing myself for a few weeks; I simply concede that he
> >found a better phrasing than I have.
>
>         I can't believe that Sertich would say something like that.  Are these
> comments just rumors or are they from a reliable source?  I know that
> during the course of the game Sertich was yelling at his team, "look at
> this tradition, do you see the tradition hear!"  I interpreted this to
> mean that if the bulldogs can build a tradition by beating teams like the
> Gophers.
>         Sertich is a class act, and knows that a comment like the one
> you stated could get the Gophers really fired up.  I just can't see him
> saying something so stupid.

Unfortunately, yes he did say this.  It was reported in the Star-Tribune
both Sunday and today.  I didn't think Sertich would say it either, but
he apparently did.  They did receive one heck of a butt-whipping on
Saturday night.  I wonder sometimes if Nicklin needs a night off.  The
first goal went right between his legs, and he was out of position a few
times as well.  If he plays anything like that in the postseason, we
won't have to worry about getting tickets to the Final Five.  The offense
really needs to kick in as well.  One shot in the second period!!  Peluso
was invisible, Feds finally broke the shutout with less than 2 to play,
of course that's because the fans hexed DeBus ;-)  This game and last
years 7-0 debacle at the DECC are the worst games I've seen the Dogs
play, why can't they beat the Gophers on Saturdays?  (Although I should
be happy we beat them at all this year after 10 straight losses)

Tony