Sender:
From:
"Jason W. Roy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 01:11:39 -0600
My brother played for Michigan Tech last year...He left school to play
for Team Canada...Team Canada plays all over the world (Russia, Japan,
Sweeden, Finalnd etc)..but they also play all over Canada inbetween those
big international tournaments.....They play exhibition games and raise
money for local minor hockey .....so they play in out of the way....small
town places......just before christmas he played in the isvestia cup in
Moscow, Russia...and after christams they played a 4 game series in
northern ontario against russia.....I am from northern ontario and it was
very cool to have him playing in our own backyard..I travelled to Michigan
Tech to watch him play twice (13 hour drive from Winnipeg) and 4 times to
Duluth (7 hour drive) and twice to St. Cloud (7 hour drive)....along with
once to grand forks (which is only two hours). So having him play at
sites as close as 1 hour was a change....

....Anyway while I was watching the game in Dryden...I sat behind the
Team Canada bench for a period and the Russian bench for period just to
get a diffrent feel for the coaching......It was actually really cool to
see this....One funny thing I noticed was the Russian coach wore a nice
shirt and tie.........but had on jogging pants and sneakers....along with
a beaver skin cap.......and for one of the games actually had a chair on
the bench and sat down while he coached.....I couldn't understand what he
was saying, but he seemed to yell at each player as the came of the ice
wether they had a good shift or not and there was a Russian dignatary up
in the crowd and he wood point at him alot...letting his players know that
he was there..........

.....Ok here comes the illlegal stick story
    Late in the Game Canada was down by a goal and were about to get a
power play.....Andy Murry (team Canada's) head coach decided he wanted
a5 on 3 and called for the illegal stick measurment for a Russian player....
Andy had a good view of the Russian sticks and must have checked them out
during a stopage as the russian trainer had them leaning up against the
back of the team canada bench.......The ref went over and tried to take
the stick from the Russian player, but I don't think he understood what
was happening and reefed the stick back out of the refs hands....The ref
went over and sort of explained himself and got the stick....he measured
it .....it was illegal.....he gave the stick back to the russian......who
was bringing it with him to the box.....the ref stopped him and told him
he better get a new stick or else he will get another penalty  when he
steps back on the ice......So the russian gives the stick to the trainer
and comes behind the bench to look for a new one....money must be tight
in russia because this guy only had one stick and started looking through
his teamates sticks for the right hand and length.....he gave up and
decided he would sneak his old one back onto the ice....except he grabbed
it and looked up.....but the team canada trainer was watching him the
whole time....and he was very frustrated by this time....I'm not sure
what a russian swear word is......but I'm sure he said a few....He just
grabbed a stick and headed to the box..........

       JASON ROY                   *     *                CBC's
 UNIVERSITY OF MANITOBA             *   *         HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA
[log in to unmask]             * *         "The Tradition Continues"
         GO 21                        *
   GO TECH / GO CANADA               * *              Molson Canadian
        GO STARS                    *   *
      GO BILL BERG               ***     ***         The Tragically Hip
    A loose puck doesn't know who's....BigGeR, StRoNger, or DrAfTed hIgheR.
                       BUT IT KNOWS WHO GETS THERE FIRST.       (Bauer CANADA)