Sender:
From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 09:46:34 -0700
I'm half surprized nobody has mentioned Tim McConaghy or Ned Bunyan

The more I think about this thread, the more I believe that there are
two factors involved:

1)  the issue of style.  Some referees seem to emphasize different
    things, and one may well be concerned that a particular official
    lets too much of one type of behavior go on while tolerating none
    of another type of behavior.  I can recall lambasting one
    particular official (Mark Rudolph) because he called games more
    loosely than some others (part of the "let them play" school) and
    I felt that was to the disadvantage of finesse type teams.  Mark,
    irrespective of my feelings about his style, was always in position
    and generally consistent in his calls.

    Another part of the "style" issue is making the calls that impact
    safety and scoring opportunities versus making all the calls.
    IMHO, some officials have a better "sense" of the game than
    others.  I think Don Adam is particularly good in this area.

2)  The issue of good night, bad night.  Just like a player is on or
    off, an official may be on or off.  A bad night does not a bad
    official make.

charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]
        http://chico.uccs.edu/~cdash
(719) 262-3492               (fax) 262-3369