Sender:
From:
Scott Brimblecombe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 22:37:52 -0400
>John Whelan wrote:
>        Obligatory hockey content: I'm happy, for hockey purposes, to
>use the official names "UMass-Lowell" and "UMass-Amherst", and shorten
>them informally to "Lowell" and "UMass" (the latter only after context
>had been set).  ("Amherst" is of course a private institution, the one
>whose biggest sporting acheivement this year seems to have been a
>scoreless tie in football with Williams.)  As was pointed out the last
>time this thread came up, the special circumstances involved in the
>order of events (Lowell gets DivI hockey; Lowell joins the UMass
>system; Mass-Amherst gets DI hockey) make the situation different
>from the norm...

Hey John,

Amhert College's achievement this year was winning the ECAC East D3 hockey
tournament, after finishing sixth in the regular season.  They were seeded
third after Middlebury, Colby and Bowdoin opted to go for NCAA National
Tournament bids, rather than compete in the ECAC East tourney.  Coach Jack
Arena has done an outstanding job with the Lord Jeffs, whi just a couple
years ago were near the bottom of the ECAC East standings.

Scott Brimblecombe