Sender:
From:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 1996 12:04:26 -0500
Comments:
This was one of the best games I've seen in the past year or so. Union
started out like they should. Some good defense led to a slow start,
though. Clarkson wanted to come out flying and put a lot of pressure
on Trevor Koenig. But, the Dutchmen defenders didn't let that happen.

The officials also looked like they wanted to control the game, as well.
An interference penalty to Clarkson's Kebin Murphy added to an
existing Union power play, giving them a 5-3 advantage. Brent
Ozarowski poked home a rebound that gave Union a 1-0 lead. I told
myself after this goal that this is finally what Union needs - the
first goal of the game. They hadn't done that for a while. Definitely
a good start.

Clarskon came back, though. Union controlled the first period until
Todd White scored on a power play to tie the game. Clarkson then
took control. They seemed to give Union only a few good scoring
opportunities. The first half belonged to Union, the seconds half
to Clarkson.

With Clarkson up 2-1 in the second, Dave Seitz scored what looked
like an illegal goal. Seitz was charging to the net to grab a rebound,
and (from where I was sitting) kicked it in. I was waiting for St. Louis
to wave off the goal, but he didn't. He hesitated somewhat, then pointed
at the net. Union argued. There could have been a man in the crease or
it may have been kicked in. The refs talked it over and still allowed
the goal. However, I was told that it was a legitimate goal. It's a good
thing my sister was visiting the pep band and saw it right in front
of her. Regardless, it was 3-1.

Union showed some heart (again). Brent Ozarowski (my rookie of the year
- of course, I haven't seen to many others :-) ) scored on the power
play to make it 3-2. But, Clarkson answered again. Guillaume Besse
scored on a nice individual effort to make it a 2 goal game again.

Then the game got fun. Union came out in the thrid period with some
fire. They hit and hit some more. Their aggressive forechecking and
speed created two goals within 40 seconds. Patrick O'Flaherty showed
up alone 5 feet from Dan Murphy and one-timed a pass from Russ Monteith
past Murphy. 4-3. As the PA was announcing the goal, Charlie Moxham
deflected a pass from Ryan Donavan that surprised Murphy. 4-4. The
place was rocking after that, and so were the players. The third
period was the best period I've seen Union play all year. They looked
like a top ECAC team. There was a lot of play in the Clarkson zone.
The Golden Knights were certainly aware of what was going on. Union
was ready to snatch the 2 points.

Clarkson started to turn things back around to the Union end. Leeor
Shtrom replaced Trevor Koenig in the third, but didn't have too
much work to do. With about 5 minutes left, Clarkson turned up the
heat in the Union zone. They got some faceoffs down there, some
pressure on the Union D, and control of the game again. Just as I
was expecting overtime, a big scramble in front of Shtrom ensued.
I never saw exactly what happened, but all I saw was the puck going
past Shtrom into the net. This is another one that could have been
deflected in or kicked in. Steve Palmer was credited with the goal.
55 seconds were left.

Union pulled Shtrom and mounted a furious attack. Somehow, with 4
Dutchmen on top of Dan Murphy, the puck didn't make it in. Clarkson
eventually got control of the puck and cleared the zone. Game over.

As I said last night, this was a great game. Union played their best
game all year, but Clarkson got the lucky bounces. Bruce Delventhal
said to his team that he wished he could tell them something to take
the pain away, but he couldn't. This was Union's most disappointing
and frustrating loss all year. Mainly because they played better
than their opponent, yet still lost.

For Clarkson, what an escape! They could have put the game away in
the third period, but they didn't. Take the 2 points and run. They
did show some character, though. Keeping the game in control when
Union went on their run. They didn't lose their cool.

For me, it was a fun game to watch. I wanted both teams to win (as
I do every night :-) ). It was very difficult to watch, though. It's
hard, but fun, to watch your two favorite teams duel to the end.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
+                                                                     +
+  Andy Weise           Let's Go Tech!                                +
+  SUNY Potsdam '93                     [log in to unmask]       +
+  Union College '95    Let's Go U!                                   +
+  Performance Systems International, Inc. (PSI)                      +
+  "If you think nobody cares you're alive, try missing a couple of   +
+   car payments."                                                    +