Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 1996 00:46:23 -0100
At 1:39 PM 2/7/96, Leigh M Torbin wrote:
>        The differance between this and the fish is that the fish is
>controlled. There is a regulated system for throwing it, and it is done
>in almost a ceremonious fashion, not a crazy drunken one. Being on the
>opposing side I obviously hate seeing the fish fly, but I will defend it
>as being one of the unique rituals that makes college hockey such a
>wonderful thing.

I quote Leigh's comments here because they are representative of those I
have seen on HOCKEY-L or in email from HE people.  Among those people,
there is unanimous support or at least condonement of UNH's fish tradition.

On the other hand, all of the criticism of it has come from outside HE,
from people who seem unfamiliar with the tradition as carried out at UNH.
That's okay and you're entitled to your opinion.  However, I would hope
you'd consider that people like Leigh and myself, who you hopefully
consider reasonable people :-), have come out against the throwing of
objects by fans from our own schools at the same time as condoning what
goes on at rival UNH.  Leigh talked about the oranges at UMass lacrosse,
and I have criticized Merrimack fans in the past for throwing tennis balls
on the ice on those rare occasions when it has happened.

I also wish to clarify my reasons for my own decision to condone the UNH
fish tossing...it is not because it is a tradition there, as some people
have suggested.  Some traditions are wrong and should not be supported.
This is a different case, however, because not only do followers of
opposing HE teams think the fish is okay, but opposing coaches and teams
also think it is okay.  If the people who play and coach the game think
it's okay for UNH to throw a fish on the ice at home, in the specific
regulated manner in which they do it, then I feel justified in sharing that
opinion with them.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93