Sender:
From:
Karl - Saratoga CSR - x4226 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 1996 10:02:09 -0500
"Edward N. Ferguson" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>My recollection is that college hockey was a lot
>less "violent" in those days: the players were smaller, the skill
>level was lower, and practice time (both over a season and a lifetime)
>was less.  Its not easy to hit a moving human while on skates!

One of the reasons I hear cited over and over again for the increase
in violence in the game is the dramatic improvement in the quality of
(and use of) protective equipment.  Does anyone know when helmets
and cages were first required?  Let's face it, nobody hit in the chest
and followed through to the head when there were no helmets, unless you
wanted a concussion (or worse) yourself.

Note: I'm not advocating that we get rid of helmets, I'm just looking for
some evidence as to what may have increased the levle of violence in the
game.

On a maybe-CH-related thread:  I was watching the NY Islanders play the
other night, and the commentators were talking about new helmets that
were available that were much better than the ones currently in use, but
the NHLPA was not letting them be used for some unstated reason.  Anyone
out there aware of this, and what the reasons are behind it?

Karl