Sender:
From:
Rick A McAdoo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 1996 17:19:03 +0001
Just a few comments about this game from my perspective (a lot lower down
than Mike M., high above the ice in press box territory...):

The forward lines for BC all played pretty well, IMO, but as Mike reported
on INFO-HOCKEY-L, there wasn't a lot of strong defense or goaltending in
this one.  Martin Legault let in one of the softest goals I've ever seen
him give up to Brian Callahan (the ultimate game-winner) when a long shot
from the left point went right through him with no screen or other
distraction.  And Greg Taylor had some lapses for BC as well, as on the
5th Merrimack goal when he thought he had the near post covered but
Jakopin's high shot slipped through a narrow gap.

Jakopin was very impressive during the game, and I can see why Mike has
been talking him up since he moved to the forward position.  I was a little
surprised, though, that Casey Kesselring didn't show too much after the
rookie year he had last year.  Maybe just an off night, maybe he is still
recovering from his injury back in December.  Overall, Merrimack again
seemed to play a game where they did not perform at the level of their
talent.  Coach Ron Anderson's comments in today's Boston Herald seemed to
reflect his frustration ("The forwards didn't come back on defense, the
defense didn't advance the puck and it was not good goaltending.  It was
ugly hockey.")

Overall Anderson's comments could have applied to both teams, though I
thought Taylor had some good saves for BC to balance his team's weak
defense.  Both of these teams will have to play better than this game
to advance in the HE standings or playoffs.  I was a little concerned
that Marty Reasoner would be tired from his play with the USA Junior team,
but he seemed quite comfortable and played well.  He might have found the
pace of this game really slow compared to the WJHC games.

BC hasn't won 2 HE games in a row this season and will try to accomplish
that with a rare Saturday home game tonight against UMass-Lowell.  With
a tough weekend due with BU next week, BC could use the points with a win
tonight.
Rick McAdoo                        [log in to unmask]
Read the FAQ!!!                    A patient BC fan.  GO EAGLES!