Sender:
From:
wistvani <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 1995 09:47:46 CDT
>> They [Wisconsin] are adding Women's softball
>> next year and Women's Lacrosse or field hockey (I forget which) the
>> following year to even out at 10 sports each and about 55:45
>> participation (football is a major unbalancing act, but I love it!)
>> The two new sports will not have men's counterparts and with
>> Women's Volleyball counter the three men only sports of Hockey,
>> Football, and reslin' (is this a real sport?).  The thing with
>> large programs is that they are usually driven by football
>> attendance (each of the six games at Camp Randall should gross
>> about $1.5 million in ticket sales.)

>> --eric

There is one thing that has bothered me about Wisconsin since I
heard the announcement to add Women's Lacrosse.  Before you flame,
please note that I'm not against Lacrosse specifically, but why didn't
they choose to add Women's Hockey when there has been a club team now
for I believe 22 years?  In addition there are other schools in
Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois with Women's Club Hockey.  Maybe
there are Lacrosse teams around, but I think I heard that the only
other Big Ten school with Lacrosse was Penn State, of course since
it's not first hand knowledge it could be completely false.

One of these days I plan on getting a letter out to the UW athletic
department asking them this question, but until then if anyone that is
closer to them now has any info, I would appreciate hearing it.

Wendy Istvanick
Wisconsin Women's Hockey - 92-94
Chicago Ice - 94-95