Sender:
From:
Alan Harder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 1994 10:21:27 -0500

> Mike made a great point that I just wanted to add one thing to.
> Mike said that holiday tournaments can help decide whether or
> not a team makes the NCAA championships or where they are
> seeded.. just as a note to that.  In Maine's 42-1-2 year, Peter
> and Chris Ferraro and Paul Kariya all went to the juniors,
> Maine won both their tournaments.  Even if players were not
> going to the WJC, it is never certain that they will stay
> healthy.  I think it means more to win without these players,
> and it shows something about the character of the team.  It is
> definately a challenge, but in my opinion (and it is only my
> opinion) playing for your country in any way is chance of a
> lifetime, and you can't really take that away from anyone..

Okay, I'm definitely in the minority on this issue, it's quite
obvious.  I guess my feelings on the subject are that when a player
signs up to play with a college program, he should be signing up to
play just for that program.

What if he gets hurt during his time away from his *real* team?  I'm
sure many coaches feel the same way I do, although I doubt many
actually verablize their feelings, since it is very *obviously*
politically incorrect to do so.

As for playing for your country, we are talking about a Junior
tournament, here.  It means as much to me as the team tennis, or golf
world championships: nothing.  I'm sure it means a lot to the players
involved, but how many people get fired up to hear that the US won the
Junior Hockey tournament?  How many people ever have even heard about
the Junior Hockey tournament?  It just doesn't seem important enough
to risk injury and NCAA playoff status.

I've read all of the opposing viewpoints posted here yesterday and
today, and I some good arguments have been presented.  However, I
don't think I'll ever see the Junior's taking college players in a
positive way.

That's the way I see it, anyhow.  But then opinions are like a-------,
everyone's got one.

-Alan Harder
 Go Blue!

The above commentary, which does not *even* represent the opinion of
the American Mathematical Society, is sold by weight, not by volume.
Some settling of the contents may have occurred during shipping.