Sender:
From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 1994 07:41:00 PDT
Patrick Fleming writes about Dave Taylor...
>...since he is often looked to as the first collegian to really make it
>big in the NHL.

Most likely it's geographical bias, but I've never heard Taylor
mentioned in this regard...always Red Berenson.  Red doesn't
have the offensive numbers that Taylor does, but he was a star
in many ways.  He was the first collegian to go directly from
campus to the NHL, he participated in the 1972 Canada-USSR
series, he was often the captain or alternate captain on his team
and he once scored six goals in a single NHL game.  I believe
he also served as president of the NHLPA.

His overall service to hockey, including winning the Jack Adams
Award as NHL Coach of the Year, warrants Hall of Fame
consideration...although Taylor will almost certainly be inducted
before Berenson.

  John H
  U Mich