Sender:
From:
"David M. Josselyn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 1994 02:18:24 -0500
On Mon, 14 Mar 1994, Wayne Smith wrote:

> I have the same feelings sometimes.  This has been the season that
> HOCKEY-L subscribers have learned what "flame" means :-(

Okay, touche.  Still heads and shoulders above r.s.h., though.

> HOCKEY-L lets a lot more people from each group participate.  But for
> local media coverage that many of us read, HOCKEY-L is the first mixing
> of the two groups for many people.

Yes, for which it deserves all due credit.  The bottleneck I see is one
of publicity, both outside the core group of people who are both
computer-literate and hockey fans (who are neither inclined to watch
college hockey or to read email) but within those groups, people who are
potential hockey-l-ers but are simply unaware of its existence.  Unlike
the newsreading programs, that "announce" the formation of new discussion
groups, even those people actively using email would have to somehow come
into contact with a current hockey-l-er in order to find out about it.
At least that is my current impression.  Heck, I watched games at
Merrimack and wrote game coverage for the school paper for 3 years, but
it wasn't til after I left for graduate school that I found out about
Hockey-L from Mike M.

Is there now or could there be a way for Hockey-L to expand its reach?
Either posts on r.s.h. (dare we?) or perhaps asking team SIDs to least
Hockey-L as a media outlet, as they do local radio/TV/newspapers?

David M. Josselyn

GO MERRIMACK!  GO ARGUS!  /\
                         /  \
                        /(*) \