From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 91 01:00:20 EST
Jeremy writes:
>Does anyone out there have the records of the ECAC Non-Ivies vs. the other
>ECAC Non-Ivies?  I'm curious as to who wins the "Non-Ivy League" Title :^)

Here they be.  What are you doing, looking for another banner for Clarkson?
:-)

Team             W   L   T  Pts   GF   GA
Clarkson         9   1   0   18   54   32
St. Lawrence     7   2   1   15   42   31
Vermont          5   5   0   10   37   40
RPI              4   6   0    8   43   44
Colgate          3   6   1    7   33   39
Army             0   8   2    2   23   46

And this seems like as good a springboard as any from which to attack Mike
the Vicious Rumor Monger :-) who writes:

>    I didn't see it, but I was told that there was an article recently in
>    one of the Boston papers about a realignment of the Eastern conferences.
>    The six Ivies would become their own conference - making the Ivy League
>    actually official, something which almost happened seven years ago.  The
>    other six ECAC teams (Colgate, St Lawrence, Clarkson, Union, RPI, and
>    Vermont) would join together with the eight Hockey East teams to form
>    a super-conference with two divisions - East/West, whatever you want to
>    call them.

I haven't heard anything remotely resembling this idea, which is not to say
that I couldn't have missed it.  But it does sound like it comes from the
same people who every year float the story that RPI or Vermont (or both)
will be jumping to Hockey East.  To my knowledge, there has been no desire
expressed by the Ivy League schools to break completely away from the ECAC
and form their own conference, nor has there been particularly strong senti-
ment from the non-Ivies about leaving for Hockey East.  It appears that the
ties between the Ivies and the non-Ivies are reasonably strong.  Back in
1984, when the rumors were rampant about the Ivies going off to form their
own league (just before the formation of Hockey East), there were also
strong rumors that some of the other schools were interested in accepting
invitations from the Ivies to come along.

What I WOULD believe, and what might be an interesting idea, is the division
of the ECAC into two conferences, consisting of the Ivies and the non-Ivies
(or some other name).  This would be similar to the three-conference ECAC
that existed for some years prior to 1984.  The teams could then, say, play
three games against conference opponents and one game against each team in
the other conference, for a total of 21 league games.  No, I haven't heard
anything about this, either -- just throwing it in off the top of my head.

Although I'd like to see the ECAC and Hockey East continue to schedule games
against each other, I think we're quite a ways away from seeing the leagues
reunite, even partially.  The ECAC (or the Ivy League, anyway) seems too
wedded to the idea of academic restrictions.  That's not entirely bad, but
it does seem to preclude a reunion with the Hockey East teams when those
restrictions are a part of the reason they left in the first place.  At
least the relationship between the two leagues has warmed up quite a bit,
and having two separate Eastern leagues instead of one large one may be
working out for the better anyway.

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86
LET'S GO RED!!

"My brother was on Wheel of Fortune once -- and he embarrassed the SH** outta
 us, man:  'Yeah, Pat, I'd like to buy a vowel... lemme have a K.'"
-- Paul Rodriguez