From:
"Charles M. Shub" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1993 23:07:36 -0500
> >From a lost attribution
> >Maybe I missed the point, in what way are Div3 schools treated
> >unfairly? Div I has a set of rules that are enforced against Div I
> >schools, Div 3 has a different set that are enforced on Div 3
> >schools.  If a school can not operate its program under one set of
> >rules, it can always try to change divisions.  You might argue that
> >these rules are silly, or too strict (I would) but as long as they
> >are enforced equally on all programs operating under that set of
> >rules (I _won't_ argue that :^>) then unfair it is not.
>
> From: Arthur Mintz <[log in to unmask]>
> Please also keep in mind that these rules the NCAA enforces are not
> concocted arbitrarily by some shadowy outside entity. The rules are (more
> or less) enacted by the institutions to which they will apply. If the rules
> are silly, or too strict, that's because the institutions themselves voted
> themselves some silly or too strict rules.

art is, as usual, right on BUT ahhhh now there's the rub...

and who, precisely, are the people from the institutions who vote on
the rules?  My recollection is that each school has one individual
representing that school and the rules for all sports are set by that
same committee.  Seems to me it would be more sensible to have
committees familiar with ice hockey setting ice hockey rules, people
familiar with softball making softball rules, and so forth.
Unfortunately, that isn't workable (so many more committeepeople, so
much more expense, etc)  The rules setting committee that sets
recruiting rules does not repeat does NOT choose how big the playoffs
are, nor are they involved with team selection.

sigh....
the first fan of the next to last div I hockey team.

charlie shub  --  [log in to unmask]  (719) 593-3492
   on leave at the University of Iowa    (319) 335-0739
           [log in to unmask]            (fax) 335-0627