Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1992 13:50:10 EST

> > What are any listers planning to do in Albany on Friday and Saturday for
> > entertainment?  I guess I could go looking for Gov. Mario Cuomo and tell him
> > what I think of the job he's doing and how I wish he'd get out of NY
 politics.
> > What's around other than the State Capitol buildings, etc.?  Any Hockey-L
> > sight-seeing tours planned?  I know Howe Caverns is (was?) down the thruway
> > bit from Albany.  Is it anything worth seeing?  There's also the Baseball
 Hall
> > of Fame in Cooperstown.  I was there as a kid once.

Here I go again making comments!

> In Albany, you are pretty much limited to the State Capitol and STate
> Museum.  Howe Caverns is about 40 miles west of Albany on Interstate 88.  The
> Baseball Hall of Fame is about 75 miles west of Albany.  If you are into
> caves or baseball, either would be worth the trip....and the moderately
> adventurous could could probably do them both in one day.

Howe Caverns is alright, I guess. If you're really into caves, it's a good
place to go, otherwise I highly recommend Cooperstown if you're willing to
drive there. It houses the Baseball hall of fame and a Farmers Museum. PLus,
Cooperstown is one of the nicest places to walk around the shops and have a
good day out in the sun, if there is any. I've done this day trip about four
times, and I keep going back.

  Thatcher Park
> (20 miles SW) is beautiful for picnics in nice weather.  For the
> historically minded, Saratoga National Battlefield is about an hour
> north  (unfortunately, the Saratoga Performing Arts Center and Saratoga
> Racetrack (the only horse racing track I would care to attend) are both
> only open in the summer).  There used to be a harness racing track in
> Saratoga, but I don't know if it is still open.

Beth took care of this question. If you like to bet on the ponies, Saratoga
Harness is a  nice night out.

 Proctor's Theatre in
> Schenectady sometimes has Broadway touring shows (if you do this, go see
> Union College....it will be a while before they have a good Div. 1
> hockey team, but they have a very nice campus).

I'm partial to this because I live and goto school at Union. I can get the
Proctor's schedule and list here if people are interested in seeing a show
at an old-Vaudeville theater. It's absolutely gorgeous inside. As for Union,
I am a tour guide here, so to make a long story short, it's one of the nicer
campuses to walk around for a bit.

> As you can see, Albany is an exciting town...just remember you'll only
> be there a few days....don't wear yourself out.
>
> > Can an Albany native provide directions to the Knick?  I'll be driving in
> > Thursday afternoon via the NYS Thruway.
>
> The Knick is very easy to reach.  It is right off Interstate 787 in
> downtown Albany.  Follow the signs for the Empire State Plaza (Nelson
> Rockefeller's monument to bureaucracy)...the Knick is right next door.
> Parking may be an issue because the one time I was down there the
> garages at the plaza had signs that said "No Knick Parking.">

As I stated before, these garages have parking for the Knick, but only at night
Otherwise, it has to be elsewhere (see other message).

> Jon Greene

It's good to see all of us come out of the woodwork for an event like this.=-)
Keith.

--
= [log in to unmask] (UNIX)  [log in to unmask] (Internet)=
=      "Beef"     [log in to unmask] (BITNET)   "Beef"           =