From:
Moller Edward N <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Moller Edward N <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 08:49:48 -0500
What do you mean by "type of school" fit?  How does UVM fit better in HEA
than Merrimack does, and for that matter why would Merrimack fit better in
ECAC?  How much different a school is Merrimack than Providence?  To take it
several steps further, do you think Colorado College is not a good fit for
the WCHA, based on the "type of school" it is?

What I see happening in the long term is that Hockey East will ultimately
become a 12-team conference, with UVM, UConn, and eventually Rhode Island
coming on board.  Then you'll have all six New England state universities in
the league.  URI has a new arena and has talked about upgrading their
program for a while, while UConn needs to upgrade its facility.  12 teams is
the max, with each team playing each other twice home and home (Maine
presents a problem).  A 9-team 24-game schedule thus becomes a 12-team
22-game schedule.  The freeing up of two games presents additional
non-conference opportunities.

That's just my opinion.  I could be wrong.

Happy Holidays to all!

Edward N. Moller
Controller and Assistant Treasurer
Mount Ida College