From:
Stephen Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 08:59:26 -0800
Charlie Shub noted:

>Normally, the institutional vote is decided with input from many
>stakeholders (student athletes, coaches, far, AD, academic advisorsm
>financial aid advisors) and then officially cast.

That's true for many institutions; however, it really depends on the internal culture at each campus.  A strong president, interested in athletics, can either get lots of input or not; in any event he/she will make the decision.  At other schools the president may not care about sports at all, and the AD may likely make the decision with as little or as much input as he/she cares to obtain.  A number of schools will route this proposal through their athletic board, which will consider & debate, then forward a recommendation to the president and/or AD.

I suppose if I were going to lobby anyone at a D-III school, however, it would be the president -- regardless of what the campus process may be.  (Unless, of course, my father-in-law was the chairman of the board of trustees....).

--Steve Roth