From:
Gary Hatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary Hatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:42:47 -0600
I knew I shouldn't shoot from the hip.  The first two reasons I gave are
true, but the third is badly mistated.  So here is the correct version:

3)  Given all linear models, the only one for which, in a round-robin
tournament, the number of wins by each team a complete and sufficient
set of statistics for the parameters (of the linear model) is the
Bradley-Terry model.  In short, if you believe that the only thing that
should matter in a round-robin tournament is how many wins each team
has,and you believe there is an underlying linear model, then the only
model available is Bradley-Terry.  I find this very compelling. The
reference here is 1963: Buhlmann and Huber, Pairwise Comparison and
Ranking in Tournaments. Annals of Mathematical Statistics Volume 34:
501-510. (Theorem 1)

4)  The parameter estimation method in KRACH is Maximum Liklihood, thus
it is maximally efficient. This means that of all consistent estimators,
it has the lowest variance. This *suggests* that KRACH is robust for
dealing with situations such as the MAAC (or as robust as one can
expect).

By the way, anyone who wants to see my article which addresses the
difficulties any rating scheme faces can look at:

http://www.gac.edu/~ghatfiel/sprt.ps  (Postscript) or

http://www.gac.edu/~ghatfiel/sprt.dvi  (DVI)