From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 00:03:47 -0500
To the Knowles:

I am not a newspaperman, but Dave Wollstadt is.  Read his post on the list.

Considering just one of your points:

"attendant paperwork, investigations, court appearances, patrolling, etc"

After all that, nothing gets in the "legitimate" press (excludes campus
student products) between the arraignments on January 21 and February 1 ?
Given those FACTS, the gap in press coverage is either gross incompetence
or a cover-up, or a bit of both.

In all humility, I just knew the story had to be bigger than the morsels
thrown about in the initial story on February 1.  Case in point:  headline
from Foster's two days later, on Feb. 3 (posted on this list):

          "UNH policy unclear in athlete arrest cases"

If the handling of this case is not clear to the writers from Foster's, the
same paper that "broke" the story, why should I be villified on this list
for voicing my own suspicions, earlier than everyone else  ?  It seems
Foster's is doing its own mea culpa...

Remember: it's not the crime...it's the cover-up.  Perhaps Umile's first
public comment on this incident will include the phrase: "third-rate
trespass".

>Perhaps I can shed a liitle light on this problem.  In mid-December I was
>on campus and picked up a copy of The New Hampshire.  I noticed the Durham
>PD log was in there, and was quite extensive, so I read it and a follow up
>article.  I do not recall if any UNH hockey players were mentioned, but in
>essence, at least 30 to 35 students had been arrested for criminal
>trespassing.  Naturally the parents of most of these students were quite
>upset.  What I don't know is how long these arrests had been going on, or
>had continued after that, but it's reasonable to assume these weren't the
>only students picked up in the Durham Dragnet.
>
>It appears that many students for some time had been using some shortcut
>across private property.  It must be a relative new area since I did not
>recognize the name of the area or the lane or roadway in question.  Some of
>them had been hanging out there, making a lot of noise late at night,
>dropping trash, beer bottles, etc. in the area, and the owner of the
>property got sick of it.  He complains to Durham PD which posts the area,
>the students ignore the signs, the owner complains again, and the PD starts
>making arrests.  A spokesman for the PD states they are serious about
>keeping students out of the area, and they have to get their attention
>somehow.
>
>So to my mind the charges of a "cover-up" are just ridiculous.  Why?
>Because you have:
>
>1) a small town PD
>2) making an unusually large number of arrests
>3) with attendant paperwork, investigations, court appearances, patrolling,
>etc
>4) between semesters.
>
>Now to some of the more recent and quite vitriolic folks posting
>anti-Umile, anti-UNH, pro-conspiracy blather on this list, this will still
>seem like mere self-serving rationalization.  No amount of reasoning will
>convince them they are not onto something.  But I won't mention any names,
>will I Dan?
>
>Craig Knowles
>UNH  '71
>
>HOCKEY-L is for discussion of college ice hockey;  send information to
>[log in to unmask], The College Hockey Information List.

Dan Doucette

***  Isn't it fitting someone named Garth Snow is playing  ***
***            for a hockey team in Canada   ???           ***