From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 1996 12:17:24 -0500
On INFO-HOCKEY-L, I gave the recaps of the two games Merrimack played
at Air Force this past weekend.  Perhaps the most unusual thing about
Air Force's Cadet Ice Arena is the fact that it has netting not only
behind the two goals, but also all the way around the glass - at
least, on the side opposite the benches.  I don't remember seeing it
on the side with the benches.  The netting is on the same side of the
rink as the press box.  I have never seen this before.

This was apparently done this season after an injury to a baby or
small child in the stands who was hit with a puck.

What is perhaps surprising is that this hasn't been done in more
rinks.  It may be something to consider, that we may see it more and
more as time goes by.

I'm ambivalent on the whole idea.  I noticed it when walking into the
rink Friday morning, but I forgot it was there during both games.  And
I can understand why it was put up.  I wonder what other people who
have seen many CC or Air Force games at the Arena think of it.

BTW, how does Air Force normally draw?  The crowds of about 1300 both
nights were half capacity, though the fans - mainly the cadets - were
loud and into the game (chanting "hat trick" at Merrimack's Tom
Johnson after his third minor penalty Saturday night and "try
basketball" at 6'8" Steve McKenna which got a grin out of the Warrior
captain).  I don't know if this is typical or if the fact that Air
Force is struggling has caused attendance to dip.  But despite the
record, you can't fault the team's effort...Saturday's game was an
exciting and well-played one by the Falcons.  The problem is scoring.

Of Air Force's 17 losses (1-17-3), 8 have been by 1 or 2 goals, and
Friday's 4-1 loss to Merrimack was a 3-1 game until Poirier's ENG
with a second left.  Throw in the three ties, and the Falcons have had
a lot of games that they have been in the whole way.  But over the
last 14 games, all losses, Air Force has only scored more than three
goals once - a 5-4 loss to DivIII Elmira in the first of those 14
losses.  They have scored only 19 goals in the last 13 games.  In
their 17 DivI games (0-14-3), Air Force has scored a total of 27
goals, with three being the high (twice).

In going 5-15-1 against DivI teams last season, Air Force (15-17-1)
scored 65 goals in 21 games, racking up more than three goals eight
times (5-3-0).
Mike Machnik                 [log in to unmask]           [log in to unmask]
*****      Unofficial Merrimack Hockey home page located at:        *****
***** http://www.tiac.net/users/machnik/MChockey/MChockey.html      *****