From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 1995 09:54:43 -0500
ECAC Women: play-off preview

Well, this was a whole lot easier last season.  The top two teams were
obvious.  This year you never know who is going to win.  Just when a team
appears to be on a roll, bang, someone comes in and beats them big.  This
championship is wide open.  It is interesting that for the first time the
final four of the Women's ECAC will not include all of the Big Three
(UNH, NU, PC).  The Ivies are on the rise.

Sat 02/25   ECAC Quarterfinals
            #1 Brown        __  - #8 St. Lawrence __    2:00 pm
            #2 UNH          __  - #7 Harvard      __    7:30 pm  (@Rochester)
            #3 Princeton    __  - #6 Dartmouth    __    7:30 pm
            #4 Providence   __  - #5 Northeastern __    7:30 pm

#1 Brown over #8 St. Lawrence
The Bears have had their problems recently, but I expect their big attack
to carry them through this round.  The Brown defense looked better on the
SC tape of the Harvard game and goalie Witchger seemed back in form.  St.
Lawrence has had an up and down season.  At times beating the better
teams (PC, Dartmouth) and then loosing to BC and Harvard.  Right now they
must be on a high having won at Colby for the final play-off spot.  I
look for a high scoring contest.

#2 UNH over #7 Harvard
The Wildcats are on a roll.  Provided they stay positive and go out and
get the goals I expect them to blow past the Crimson.  Harvard has had an
impressive run.  They beat Northeastern to win the Beanpot and they beat
PC in Providence in a league match for their first win ever over the
Friars.  The Crimson also tied UNH for their first ever non-loss just two
weeks ago.  The key for Harvard is the play of goalie Erin Villiotte.
If the Wildcats can get to her early, they should advance easily.  If
they don't, it will be a long hard afternoon.

#3 Princeton over #6 Dartmouth
This is going to be a tremendously close match.  The Tigers won the first
match 3-0 in New Jersey.  Big Green won the return contest in New
Hampshire 5-3.  Princeton has a core of skillful seniors and I believe
they will carry the team past Dartmouth.  Big Green also is busy mid-week
with its last Ivy League game of the season (Harvard).  A win would make
them Co-champions with Princeton!  These two teams are going to be up for
this match.

#4 Providence over #5 Northeastern
This could be a very low scoring contest.  PC has a strong rookie
goaltender in Smith and some explosive fire-power on the attack.  NU has
a strong defense and a great goalie in Flatt, but lack the finishers.
The Huskies can surprise you and if they get their skating legs moving,
watch out.  I think that the Friars will be ready, provided they don't
play it too tight.

Sat 03/04    ECAC Semifinals at Brown
#1 Brown over #4 Providence
The Bears have won both meetings this season.  I know PC was unlucky not
to win the last match, which counted in the league standings.  I see this
as a game where a two goal lead means nothing.  I expect that both teams
will be flying in this Providence derby.  The edge will go to Brown if
their attackers let rip.

#3 Princeton over #2 UNH
In the back of my mind I hear a voice saying: UNH is on a roll, they
almost won the league and they will win the play-offs.  The Wildcats have
a very strong squad.  If they open it up and get the goals, while goalie
Solimini takes care of her end, they will be very difficult to stop.  I
have to believe that the Tiger's will come out on top like they did at
the start of the season at Baker Rink.  Princeton won that league match
4-3.  In a scoring contest Princeton will prevail.  I am not sure that
UNH will be able to shut down the Tiger's who are on a mission.

Sun 03/05    ECAC Final at Brown
#1 Brown over #3 Princeton
An all Ivy final?  If this occurs, it will be a great game for women's
hockey.  These two teams have a lot of character and skill.  I think that
the Bears will pull it out because they have the experience from being in
last year's final four, and they have the home ice advantage.  The Tigers
have done the double on Brown, beating them 4-6 in Meehan and 4-1 at
Baker.  It is a shame one of these teams has to loose.  I expect the lead
to change hands many times, but I predict that Brown will pull off the
Championship to go with their league title.

/
 good shooting
 rhun-hungerf