Date:
Wed, 2 Nov 1994 15:41:15 -0500
I did play-by-play for the student radio station here at BG for the BG-ND
game last night, and I was also able to see the videotape of the fight
shot by the campus TV news.  During the game, you could almost tell it was
inevitable that a fight was going to break out, (although not necessarily
as big of one as the one that did happen).  Once ND got down by 3 goals,
they started to institigate a few extracurricular events. Im not saying BG
didnt have anything to do with the fighting, since it takes two to tango,
but being that far ahead and having big games coming up, they certainly
didnt want to get involved in a major fight.  I was especially impressed
with Kevin Lune for BG, who just skated away from a ND player who was
trying to start something with him.  The ND player got the penalty, and
Lune stayed out of the sin bin.  In looking at the videotape, at first
glance it didnt seem that Perrault had done anything to deserve a penalty,
but at closer look, he did knock down a ND player from behind after the
fight had started. So it is probable that he deserved a roughing penalty,
maybe a ten minute misconduct. But double game DQ's???? Thats nuts.
Johnson was more involved than he was, and three or four ND players were
more involved than any BG player.  Of course, BG did get lucky earlier in
the game when Dale Crombeen threw a punch at a ND player that connected on
the ref's chin, and he only got a two minute roughing, so maybe they
should beat up on the ref's instead of each other, since they would have
gotten less penalty minutes, and the ref's probably deserved it more.

FALCON HOCKEY ON 88.1 FM, WBGU!!!