From:
James Old <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Old <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 1994 12:30:04 EST
Being a Laker fan who is far from home, I am very interested in the opinions
expressed on why LSSU is faltering.  Generally, I agree with the idea that
they need an on ice leader to crack the game open.  Consistency across all
lines certainly doesn't hurt, but it doesn't allow a team to take control of
a game like LSSU needs to.

More to the point though, since the season began, I've been a little more
concerned with the question of off ice leadership.  In the two or three games
that I've been able to see LSSU play this year, they just have not displayed
the hard work and defensive intensity that I associate with Laker hockey.
This team is every bit as talented as Frank Anzalone's 1988 Championship
squad.  In fact, if I can point to one thing as Jeff Jackson's greatest
asset, it's his ability to recruit creative, scoring forwards like Tallaire,
and their blue line talent certainly looks to have remained consistent as
well.  But the Lakers just don't look like the tight checking, hard working
squad that could effectively control the flow of a game that they used to be.

Now, if this is the only problem, it indicates that could very well turn it
around for the tournament.  I think if Lacher stays healthy (I'm checking on
his current status - don't know yet), they become more aggressive challenging
the opponents' transition game, and concentrate more on not making dumb
give aways in their own end, the Lakers can easily turn it around.  Until
then, I think that their current 6-8th place rankings (which is where I
thought they belonged at the beginning of the season) are fairly accurate -
certainly not too low.

Jeff Jackson is a completely different coach from old Frankie.  I think
these kinds of slumps are much more likely with Jackson.  It's the price to
pay for a more interesting game to watch and a coach who doesn't scream and
shout and jump out and down every single period.

James Old