From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 1994 21:11:34 -0500
It appears that Hockey-L is broken again.

I was down South yesterday (Peoria, Il) and missed the first
CC-MTU game. However, CC managed to win 4-2. The following report
is from my wife's commentary when I got home.

CC  0 1 3 - 4
MTU 0 1 1 - 2

Apparently, there were a couple of controversial calls during the
game, one that resulted in a goal being taken away from MTU and
another late in the 3rd period when the score was 2-2 which gave
CC a winning power play goal. A highsticking call was made on
Hanchuk that was clearly a legal check. The fans, Coach Mancini
and others went ballistic to no avail. The last CC goal was an
empty net goal.

In Saturday's afternoon game

CC  2 1 1 - 4
MTU 0 1 1 - 2

In this game MTU was clearly outskated although the shots on
goal (CC 22 MTU 27) wold indicate a close game. After taking
a 2 goal lead in the first period, it appeared that MTU would
roll up and die. However, Jeff Mikesch got a breakaway and
stuffed a goal passes Lambert. However, CC killed off any
mo' that MTU may have gotten form the 2nd period goal by
scoring less than 15 seconds later. Early in the 3rd, CC
made the score 4-1. On a late 3rd period penalty, MTU's
Figlionemi scored a short handed goal. CC played a fair
game, not great but certainly good enough to beat MTU.

I hate losing. But it is now very unlikely that MTU can
pull it together this year. Our team is not playing with
confidence. They are waiting only for perfect shots and
not taking possible shots. They seem afraid to drive to the
crease and prefer passing the puck to the outside rather
than take a chance of losing it inside. When the puck was
centered, nobody was home. Maybe next year.
MTU is not getting blown out but they can not seem to come
up with what is needed to win.

Walt Olson
MTU