From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1993 14:44:00 -0400
Ralph writes:
>Although "the ratio" is not nearly the
>50-1 that it was when I was in my class ('68), there are still many
>more men than women at the school.

I think it was around 4-1 in 1985-86.

>RPI does now have a women's club Hockey team ...

Yes, and I believe their head coach is (or was) a reader of HOCKEY-L.

>Perhaps the problem is that there is an unknown-to-me NC$$
>rule that would require the team to be Div-I in line with the men's
>team and not Div-III like the rest of the teams and this would be
>prohibitively expensive.

Well, this could not be the case because women's hockey is not
sanctioned by the NC$$ and thus does not fall under its regulations,
whether it is varsity or not.  The divisions that exist in women's
hockey are there primarily within the ECAC itself.  As an example, St
Lawrence, which has a DivI men's program, called its women's program
DivIII.  But I think the day is not far off when the NC$$ will
recognize women's hockey and sanction a championship for it.
Elevation of some of the Western club teams to varsity level and more
East-West play will play a large part in this happening.
---
Mike Machnik           [log in to unmask]          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMN* 11/13/93
R.I.P. Reggie Lewis NU/Celtics #35