From:
"Craig C. Cheslog" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig C. Cheslog
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1993 12:00:03 EDT
From the June 23, 1992 NC$$ News...

I HOCKEY CONSIDERS EIGHT POSSIBLE HOST SITES

The NC$$ Division I Men's Ice Hockey Committee met with representatives from
eight potential host sites for the 1997 and 1998 Division I ice hockey
championships during ites June 13-16 meetins in Hilton Head, South Carolina.

The committee presently is conducting final negotiations with the prospective
sites and will announce its recommendations in mid-July.

The eight potential hosts that made bid presentations to the committee were
representatives of the Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, New York; The Anaheim
Arena, Anaheim, California; The Palace at Auburn Hills, Auburn Hills,
Michigan; Boston Garden, Boston; Joe Louis Arena, Detroit, Bradley Center,
Milwaukee; Centrum, Worcester, Mass.; and the St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul,
Minn.

(I don't know how this fits in with my earlier post from the Boston Globe
which said the new Boston Garden had been awarded the bid, I guess we have to
stay tuned for further details.)

In other actions at its June 13-16 meeting, the Division I Men's Ice Hockey
Committee:

* Discussed a variety of topics with the commissions of the four Division I
ice hockey conferences. Specifically, the commissioners expressed concern
about decreases in per diem and travel squad sizes and that some schools will
have to pay some expenses to participate in championship competition.

  The commissioners and the committee also discussed the Division I
  revenue-distribution process and agreed to develop a recommendation that
  would provide a portion of championships revenue to Division II or Division
  III schools that participate in the Division I ice hockey championship.
  Presently, 17 of the 49 Division I hockey programs come from Division II or
  III institutions. The commissioners and the committee agreed that it should
  not cost a school money to participate in the championship.

* Voted to recommend that the two-referee, one-linesman officiating system be
used at the 1994 championship. The committee also agreed to require that an
official work in a two-referee, one-linesman system during regular season
conference competition to be selected to work in the championship.

  In an related matter, the committee will recommend an increase in the
  referee's fees from $225 to $250 and an increase in the linesman fee from
  $100 to $125.

* Reviewd the championship selection criteria, noting that the current process
provides for a consistent application of the criteria. The committee, however,
will evaluate further the Ratings Percentage Index to ensure that it provides
an equal ratio between won-loss record and strength of schedule.

* Granted automatic-qualification to the Eastern College Athletic and Hockey
East Conferences and the Central Collegiate Hockey and Western Collegiate
Hockey Associations.

* Reviewed a request from the Men's Ice Hockey Rules Committee to allow the
use of instant replay, upon referees' request, to resolve disputes over the
scoring of goals in championships competition. The committee denied the
request, citing inconsistencies it would face in trying to apply the
recommendation when all games are not televised.

* Reviewed the current television contrct with ESPN that runs through the 1997
championship and discussed possibly changing the championship game time so
that it does not coincide with the semifinals of the Division I Men's
Basketball Championship.

(end of quoted material)

I'll post the Division II-III men's hockey committee report after lunch, since
one of its decisions also affects Division I hockey.

Craig Cheslog
Bowdoin College Sports Information Intern