Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1993 11:27:20 EST
As the season rolls toward February, I suppose it's not too early to
be thinking about All-America selections.  I'll only deal with the
West, and I'll concentrate on leading candidates from the CCHA.

Forward: Bryan Smolinski (Michigan State) and Holzinger (BGSU) are the
front runners.  Both are having big seasons, Smolinksi being one of
the favorites for CCHA PotY.  Some consideration also has to go to LSSU
sophomore Brian Rolston.  His numbers aren't as impressive, but he's
the catalyst to LSSU's offense.  Of coure, UMD's Derek Plante is a
given.

Defense: Michigan senior Patrick Neaton is having his best season.  He's
playing with a good mix of offense and defense, which he often lacked in
the past.  Neaton has 6 goals and is +21 in 22 games.  Miami's Joe Cook
will receive some consideration, especially given Miami's outstanding
season.  Steven Barnes and Michael Smith, both of LSSU, are also solid.
Of course, if I had it my way Michigan Captain David Harlock would be
All-America, but defensive defenseman have been ignored since Rod Langway's
back-to-back Norris Trophies in the early 1980s.

Goaltender: Michigan's Steve Shields.  Those who know me know that this
isn't a biased selection (I prefer back-up Chris Gordon in the Wolverine
net), but Shields is the man.  He's having by far his best season, and
is leading the CCHA in gaa (2.19), save pct (.912) and wins (17).  He
should reach 80 career wins later this season (his junior year).

I'm interested in views from the WCHA and from the Alaska teams, which
I have not seen this season.

  John H
  U Mich