From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 1993 11:26:35 CDT
Mike writes:
>                                  I am still treating the rumor about
>Mazzoleni as just that, btw, until verified which I don't believe it has
>been by UMass or anyone else.

There wasn't a word about it in either of the Twin Cities newspapers today,
so I think that Sid Hartman's report in yesterday's Mpls. Star Tribune must
be regarded as nothing more than a rumor.

Here's Mazzoleni's bio from the Minnesota media guide, for what it's worth.
I believe that Mazz will be a Div1 head coach within two years, if not at
UMass then somewhere else.

Mark Mazzoleni
Assistant Coach

   Mark Mazzoleni became the newest member of the Minnesota hockey staff
when he was hired before the start of the 1991-92 season.  He comes from
the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, where he was head hockey coach
and director of athletics.  At Stevens Point, Mazzoleni was the sole
architect in rebuilding the Pointers' hockey program, leading them to three
consecutive NCAA Division III Championships (1988-89, 89-90, 90-91).
   The 36-year old Mazzoleni is a native of Green Bay, Wis., where he
attended Premontre High School.  After graduating from Premontre in 1974,
Mazzoleni went on to play junior hockey for the St. Paul Vulcans under
[Minnesota coach Doug] Woog, earning All-USHL honors in 1975-76.  Mazzoleni
then headed to Michigan State University, where he was a four-year standout
in goal for the Spartans.  He graduated in 1980 with a pre-law degree.
   Mazzoleni began his coaching career in 1980 at the University of
Illinois-Chicago where was was an assistant coach and recruiting
coordinator.  In 1985, he took the job at Stevens Point and led the team
to the NCAA Division III playoffs.  Mazzoleni was named the Director of
Athletics in the spring of 1990.  In addition to his undergraduate degree,
he holds a masters degree in physical education/athletic administration
from Illinois-Chaicago.
   Mazzoleni will serve as the program's recruiting coordinator.  He
will coordinate Minnesota's specialty teams and work primarily with the
forwards as their position coach.  He will also provide administrative
support for the program and the ice hockey booster clubs.
   Mazzoleni and his wife Karen are the parents of three children, Paul,
10, Ann, 4, and Tom, 2.

<<end of quoted material>>

-- Erik