From:
"ACAD2A::ASSLK" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ACAD2A::ASSLK
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1993 14:03:34 -0900
> hockey game.  I agreed.  A day or so later I received a sweatshirt
> with UAA Seawolves across the front.  I wore it to the hockey game,
> took a terrific ribbing from the fans in my section, and I am biding
> my time.....

Good for him...  :)

> Do you think that UAA will continue to
> sponsor the Jeep Nissan Classic next year when they are playing a full
> schedule in WCHA?

I have heard rumor on this issue from both the papers, as well as inside
information...there is obviously a lot of speculation on what UAA will do with
their only two unscheduled games next season.  I will try and summerize what I
have heard...along with my own commentary.  :)

Basically, does UAA continue with the Nissan Jeep Classic, or do they continue
their inter-state rivarly with the University of Alaska Fairbanks?

    o   UAF wants the rivarly, but they want the games to be played in
        Fairbanks, as they can always pull in sellout crouds when UAA
        is in town.  However, if this path is taken, then it would most
        likely be a home and home series...thus only one game for each
        town...

o       However, if UAA were to keep the Nissan Jeep...then Anchorage fans
        would be able to see not one, but four hockey games, and since there
        are three sessions, then that would mean not one, but three sellout
        crowds which means lots of $$ for UAA...  As far as I know, UAF wants
        to play in Fairbanks, not Anchorage...so they most likely wouldn't be
        in the tourny.

As too many things these days, a lot of the time it boils town to money.  It is
obvious that the Nissan Jeep would be the most profitable, and actually, the
fans would get to see more games.  However, others aruge that it is important
to keep the rivarly up...Please keep in mind that this is MY speculation, and
not necessarily that of the University or what have you.  We do have a new
athletic director, and I don't know when he is to make the decision...

SK