From:
Arthur Mintz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 90 09:30:40 EST
>I just noticed that Cornell's schedule over break includes Lake Superior
>State at the Syracuse (?) Invitational Tourney.  Since I have seen LSS
>at or near the top of almost every rating/poll posted, I have a
>question.  How do non-league games effect NCAA playoff berths?  I am a
>little worried about this game, especially with Kent Manderville out
>(playing for the Canada World Cup.)  I know Cornell can win if they are
>fired up enough.  Thanks.
>
>Andrew D. Williams

Andrew,

Cross your fingers and hope. Not only do we get to play this tournament
without Manderville, we get to play without Ratushny (Spengler Cup)
and Hughes (some kind of Select team playing in Albany) as well.

Non-league games affect NCAA playoff rankings strongly, as the team's
quality of play outside of its conference is one of the criteria used
by the NCAA tournament committee. If Cornell loses to LSSU, it would
have an adverse effect when NCAA tournament time comes around, but
nowhere near the effect last year's loss to Miami had.

Arthur