Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 23:28:16 -0400
Friday, October 19, 2001

#4 ST. CLOUD SKATES PAST MICHIGAN TECH, 7-2
Game Much Closer Than Final Score Would Indicate

St. Cloud, Minn. -- While the final score read St. Cloud State 7,
Michigan Tech 2, it was a much closer game than the final scored
indicated as the fourth-ranked hosts turned a tight game into a rout
with three goals in a 2:01 span late in the third period.

"I'm humbled," said a disappointed Mike Sertich after the game. "We
were undiscplined and that really disappoints me. I think we
(coaching staff) were blindsided tonight. We never saw this coming."

The Huskies got on the board first as Tom Kaiman's backhander from
the slot found its way through the legs of St. Cloud netminder Dean
Weasler just 1:39 the game. The play was set-up off a Weasler save of
Paul Cabana's shot 10-feet out.

Then the Huskies got into penalty trouble, with six straight minors
interpreted by referee John Boche against Tech. St. Cloud's Nate
DisCasmirro evened the game up just 1:11 after MTU's opening goal
before Ryan Malone gave SCSU the lead for good with a five-on-three
power play at 9:29. With just :40 left in the opening period, SCSU
scored again on the power play, this time rookie Mike Doyle doing the
damage.

Tech played a solid second period and got the only goal of the frame.
It came at 2:37 as Greg Amadio's shot from the center point found its
way just under the cross bar and into the back of the net. Sophomore
Jon Pittis set up the play as he stole the puck from a SCSU defender
behind his own net and came the length of the ice.

While St. Cloud State went up 4-2 at 5:49 of the third on Lee Brooks'
tally, Tech still had hope with a power play and 6:29 to play. But a
slashing call on Chris Durno at 15:02 ended any hope and the hosts
scored the three goals in the final 4:30 of the game to pull away.

Brian Rogers had 23 saves for Tech and played a solid game despite
allowing seven goals (4 on the power play). Dean Weasler also had 23
saves for the victorious Huskies.

The two teams finish the weekend series Saturday (Oct. 20) at 7:05
p.m. in St. Cloud, Minn.
--
Dave Fischer
Assistant Athletic Director/Communications & Marketing