Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 1992 16:59:30 EST
> 1) Was there a faceoff after the goal at Cornell?  There wasn't one in AIC-
>   Merrimack, they went straight to overtime.  This doesn't make sense to me
>   because if a goal is to count, it must have come before the end of the
>   period - thus there must still be time left on the clock and time for a
>   faceoff.

Most college hockey rinks don't have tenths of a second on the score clock.
So if a goal is scored in the final second (between 19:59 and 20:00), and
the clock buzzer sounds, the goal is considered to be scored at 20:00, and
the period is over.  There is no resulting face off, since the time has
already expired.  Remember that the buzzer sounds right as the clock changes
from 00:01 to 00:00.  If the timekeeper shuts the clock off after the goal,
it will be at either 00:01, or the buzzer would've sounded.  If it's at
00:01, then there's a face-off, if it's at 00:00, then the period is over.

Note that if the clock reads 00:01, then there may be one second or less left.
Theoretically, then, if a goal is scored in the last second, the clock should
read 00:01, and there would be a face-off.  However, there is the human delay
factor in stopping the clock.  So, by the time the referee signals the goal,
the timekeeper sees it, and then responds to it by moving his hand to stop
the clock, it has already hit 00:00, the buzzer sounds, and the goal goes down
as 20:00.