From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 1991 00:05:50 EST
I'll leave it to the "Voice of Husky Hockey" to provide more details, but
NU broke a five-game home losing streak and got back to .500 overall at
7-7-0 with a 6-4 win over Princeton, now 4-7-0.  NU got goals from six
different players and took a 6-2 lead early in the third before Princeton
fought back to make it interesting.  The Hounds got great play from Rob
Kenny and Jay Schiavo, who had a goal and two assists and also hit two
pipes.  For Princeton, the second line of Brian Bigelow-Terry Morris-Matt
Zilinskas was impressive, especially Zilinskas although he only had an
assist.

Northeastern coach Ben Smith, in an attempt to change things around, had his
team switch ends so that they defended what was normally the visitors' net
twice in the game instead.  NU was only at .114 on the power play (9 of
79) entering the game but went 2 for 4.

It was a battle of former BU men, as NU is coached by Smith and Princeton is
led by Donald Cahoon.  Cahoon graduated in 1972 from BU and Smith, though a
graduate of Harvard, was an assistant under Jack Parker at BU from 1981-90.
Parker was on hand to see the game, as was former NU coach Don McKenney.

I don't recall seeing this on the list, but I was told that last year's
Boston Globe Player of the Year is headed to Wisconsin.  He is a goalie
from Catholic Memorial in West Roxbury, MA.  Sorry I can't remember his name,
but he is supposed to be a very good one although I've never seen him play.
This is a surprise since many CM players end up at BU (Tkachuk, Prendergast,
Mark & Mike Bavis), but Parker apparently did not recruit him.  Maybe this
makes up for John McKersie of Madison, WI, who Parker enticed to come to
BU this year.

In addition, some of you may have heard of ECHL player Jason Taylor who was
banned for life from the league after he shattered an opposing player's
jaw.  He apparently took a two-handed swing at the player's head and broke
his jaw into many pieces.  I learned that the player was former Northeastern
star center Harry Mews.  Mews is wired up now and may never play again, and
if he does, it will only be with a full shield.  This is too bad because he
was one of the top scorers in the ECHL last year, playing for Hampton Roads,
and the Capitals were high on him.

- mike