From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:05:14 -0800
On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Joe LaCour wrote:

> Isn't the big problem the NCAA has with Major Junior is that
> some players have already signed professional contracts
> and are playing Major Junior?  In the NC$$'s eyes this
> makes it a pro league, I think.(?)

For me to definitively answer that would involve trying to get into the
collective heads of the NC$$, and that is something I won't ever attempt. :-)

If you run on the theory that playing against professionals makes one a
professional, then you're right. But the number of Major Junior players
with signed NHL contracts is quite small. We're certainly not in the days
of NHL-sponsored Junior teams, where they'd have most of the players
under some sort of contract.

A Major Junior player will have a contract with the Junior team, and that
calls for some compensation. That's in the area of $50/week or so. (I think)
I don't think that's enough to consider someone a professional.

I wonder what the history of the rule is. As a separate level, Major
Junior hockey has only existed since 1971-72. Before that, there was only
Junior A.

John

John Edwards                       Minister of Chasing Wild Geese (DNRC)  O-
[log in to unmask]       Web page temporarily not with us.  }3
               "He is SUCH a freak!" - Edie Edwards (Age 16)