From:
Tom Tseng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 1991 15:03:25 LCL
 Pierre Belanger
Dave and Jeffrey both contributed to the discussion about referee Pierre
Belanger, who has a *speical* place in all the Lynah Faithfuls' hearts.  Since
it's Friday afternoon, let me throw in my two cents about this character (Rob
Scott, I'd like to hear your opinion on this one, too).

I think Jeffrey was correct in alluding to the SI article in which Pierre (has
no hair) publicly denounced the Big Red and everything associated with it.  I
never read the article myself, but have heard this version too many times to
think it might be false (though some of my not-so-nutty-about-hockey friends
said how can a referee go on record to say he hates a team).  I also heard that
Pierre was not a hockey player to begin with, but that he played baseball
(could that be true?) when he was young.  This version of the story goes that
Pierre got little respect from players in the past because he didn't play the
sport, so he'd show them who's the boss on the ice every chance he had.

I can still remember the sinking feeling I experienced two years ago at Boston
Garden when I saw Pierre skated onto ice before the Cornell RPI semi.  Granted
that he did give Ross Lemon '90 (I think) a penalty shot in the third period
(RPI goalie Kennedy did a great job catching the puck under his right arm),
which was the first-ever penalty shot in the tournament history (correct me if
I'm wrong) and the right call for the penalty, he also disallow one goal from
Cornell.  I was sitting with the Cornell Pep Band, taking pictures even with
the net.  I SAW the puck crossed the goal line.  The red light went on.  But
Pierre claim that he had blown the whistle before the puck went in.  NO, he
blew the whistle AFTER we had scored.  RPI won the semi.  It could have been a
very different ending if not for Pierre.

Cornell fans learned quickly about Pierre.  I started watching Big Red Hockey
in 1986, and one of the first things I was taught was that Pierre was not your
friendly neighborhood referee.  I used to think the Ref F--- Sheep cheer was
reserved for Pierre alone.  In fact, I bought an oven mitt from a store in
Downtown Ithaca last year.  This store carried "animal oven mitts."  Mine was a
sheep.  I took it to games last year hoping to use it on Pierre.  Finally, he
refed a game late in the season at Lynah.  I'd hold up the sheep mitten high
and yelled "Pierre, your friend is here..."
Students in my section got the joke.

Tom Y. Tseng '87
Got to start my shopping....