From:
Karen Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 1996 17:03:15 -0500
Ken Kretsch's posting referred to the 1977 ECAC semi-final between BU and
UNH.  Actually the two teams played this game in the final and, while I would
disagree that UNH was heavily favored, it was a great game.  As a matter  of
fact, I would rank this ECAC semis and Finals as probably the best two game
tournament I've ever seen.  In the first semi-final, UNH and Cornell battled
through 60 minutes, scoring 7 goals apiece, and then thru a scoreless first
overtime before UNH won it early in the 2nd on a Bob Gould (future Flame, Cap
and Bruin) to earn their first ever trip to the ECAC finals.  In the second
game that night, BU came back from a two goal deficit with less than 10
minutes to go to beat #1 seed Clarkson 5-4 (I think).  The next night saw BU
and UNH tied thru two periods 4-4 before BU took charge in the 3rd (I think
UNH ran out of gas) to win 6-4.

As a matter of fact, BU and UNH went on to the NCAA semis and finals, another
great 2-game series) in Detroit that year with UNH losing to a truly heavily
favored Wisconsin in OT 3-2 (a shot off the face-off) and BU to Michigan 7-6
(aided by a bogus too- many-men-on-the-ice penalty with less than a miniute
to go).  As I recall, in the final Wisconsin beat Michigan in OT (I forget
the score) to set off my first introduction to Badgerland partying.  Quite a
series as well!

My five greatest games:

1995 NCAA Maine-Michigan Semi-final.  It looked like Michigan was going to
blow Maine out of the building but the Black Bears settled down (Walsh may be
unethical but he is a great coach) to forge a tie.  The thing I liked about
this game as opposed to most OT games is that both teams went full tilt thru
the first 20 minute overtime.  Both goalies were tremendous.

1991 NCAA N. Michigan-BU Final.  Again tremendous scoring by both teams.
 Dallas Drake, Tony Amonte (if he had 2 more seconds he would have scored).
 I watched this one on TV while at the same time watching Duke upset UNLV.  I
was dizzy by 11PM.

1977 ECAC  UNH-Cornell Semi-Final.  This game is up there for me because,
with the win, we long suffering Wildcat fans knew we were going to the
NCAA's.  These were the days before extended tournaments and before the CCHA
was included, only WCHA and ECAC champs and runners up went.

1984 NCAA UMD- Bowling Green Final.  The game dragged at times but . . . . it
was 4 overtimes.  I think every game in this NCAA was decided by one goal,
three of them in OT.

1985 HE BC-Providence (Chris Terreri) Final.  BC had quite a collection of
players, Doug Brown, Ken Hodge, Jr, Bob Sweeney, Kevin Stevens.  Talk about
heavily favored!  We had seats behind the goal BC shot at for 2 periods and,
I think, the OT.  Terreri was unbelievable.  The greatest college goaltending
I have ever seen.

I could give you a list of my biggest disappointments but, for a UNH fan, it
might take an hour.

Greg Ambrose, GO BLUE!