From:
Your Name <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 1995 09:54:09 EST
*** Resending note of 12/13/95 09:27

haven't already been posted.

I was lucky enough to experience both arenas as the switch was made
during my four year stay. Cheel is a great facility (i.e. there's more
than one men's toilet), but the hockey atmosphere doesn't compare to
Walker. Clarkson sells most of the "new" seats as season tickets. Only
two sections are reserved for the students. I've attended a few games at
Cheel when one could hear a pin drop. In addition, the bell sounds more
like a "tingle" than a "clang" in its new home. The open space, lack of
students, and the sometimes absent season ticket holders can't match the
enthusiasm of the rafter climbing, rail sitting, standing room only
crowd of Walker.

Maybe some old time "techers" can add their experiences before Walker
was even changed to add the glass and netting. I bet Walker B.G. compared to
the Walker I knew like Walker compares to the new Cheel (B.G. = Before Girls).
My father likes to retell his stories of waiting outside the barn hours
before the doors opened to make sure he had a front seat. I understand
visiting teams hated playing there because the students in the front
rows got quite involved. The boards were about three feet high and there
was no glass. It wasn't uncommon for an opposing player to lose his
stick to a student or be held if he ventured too close to the boards.

. . . and today's coaches complain about "clutching and grabbing". No
wonder Clarkson's historical winning percentage is among the best.

Knight mail appreciated at [log in to unmask]

Thanks,
Tom
900-7198